This and related pages were pulled from the eFilm Workstation User guide to assist you with the use of eFilm Workstation in an easy to access format. For the full user guide in PDF format, please click here (There are Page Numbers referenced on this page which refer to the user guide pages for further assistance.)
Using Key Images
Key images allow you to mark images of clinical interest in a study from the local or Image channel tabs, so that referring physicians can be quickly directed to the relevant pathology when they view the study. A key image consists of a reference to the original image and the image’s presentation state (i.e., measurements, annotations, window/level settings). Key images persist on a Key Image server and will be retrieved whenever a study is opened in eFilm.
Important: The key images feature is license limited. If you have this feature, it is available when using eFilm as a standalone application, or in conjunction with a visualization services server. In this section, you will learn how to: mark images as key images and save them to the server (see “Creating key image series” on page 87); view and edit key images in a study (see “Viewing and editing key images” on page 87); and delete key images (see “Deleting key images” on page 88). Note: Before you can start using key images, you must specify a visualization services server (see “Configuring visualization services” on page 64).
Creating Key Image Series
When you mark and save key images, they are stored as follows depending on your configuration: Standalone: The application stores key images on the local workstation. In conjunction with a Merge Healthcare PACS solution: The application stores key images on the Key Image server so that you can view them in subsequent sessions of eFilm.
To create a key image series:
1. Select the image that you want to mark as a key image.
2. Choose one of the following options:
- On the Tools menu, click Mark Key Image
- Press Space or the specified keyboard accelerator (see “Assigning shortcut keys” on page 27).
The reference to the currently selected image is placed into a virtual “clipboard,” and a small “key” icon appears in the lower right-hand corner of the image.
Note: To unmark a selected image, click again, or click . This removes the reference from the clipboard and the key icon disappears from the selected image.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have selected all the key images you want.
4. Choose one of the following options:
- On the Tools menu, click Save Key Image
- If no key image series exists in the current study, marked key images will be saved in a new series.
Note: eFilm will also create a new key image series each time you save key images, unless you set eFilm to automatically add marked key images to the most recent key image series. You can also set eFilm to automatically save key images when you close a study. For more information, see “Customizing system preferences” on page 43.
5. Enter a name for the key image series in the field provided, and click OK .
After the marked key images are successfully saved, they exist immediately as a “virtual series”, which can be accessed from the right-click context menu. Viewing and editing key images
Whenever you open a local or Image Channel study, any key images belonging to that study are loaded from the Key Image server, and can be accessed through the right-click context menu.
To view and edit key images:
1. Open a local or Image Channel study that contains key images.
2. Choose one of the following options:
- On the Tools menu, click View Key Image
The key images associated with the study appear in the main eFilm window. Additional key images can be accessed via the right - click context menu.
3. While viewing key images, you can choose to save any changes as a new key image and delete existing key images. To save your edits as a new key image, right - click the series and select Save Key Image As .
- Enter a name for the key image series, and click OK .
- To delete existing key images, see “Deleting key images” on page 88.
4. Click again to return to the original screen layout.
Note: Depending on the number of key image groups associated with the study, your layout settings may be altered, so each key image group is displayed in its own viewport.
Deleting Key Images
You can choose to delete all key images or selected key images using the Delete Key Image Manager.
To delete key images:
1. Display the key images (see “Viewing and editing key images” on page 87).
2. To delete a key image, right - click the desired image and click Delete Key Image from the popup menu.
- or -
Click to expand it and select Delete Manager . In the Delete Key Image Manager window, select the key images you want to delete and click Delete. When you are finished, click Close.
Note: When you click (i.e., without expanding the popup menu), the application remembers the last selected option. For example, if you selected Delete Manager the last time, when you click the button next, the application displays the Delete Key Image Manager window.